What do I have to do for a house that has too much radon?

Answered by Brett ~ June 3, 2010 ~ Comments

What do I have to do for a house that has too much radon? We did a radon test and it came back high, is this going to be expensive?

Robert ~ Elko, Nevada

Brett Kulina

If you have correctly conducted a DIY in-home radon test, and the results of those tests showed radon levels in your home were in excess of 4 pCi/L, then I recommend you hire a radon mitigation specialist to conduct a second radon test in your home. Professional mitigation experts have more accurate methods of testing for radon, and because the level of radon in your home can determine the specifics of the mitigation system, you want to make sure that you have an accurate reading from the radon tests.

If the reading from a second test indicates high levels of radon in your home, don't panic. The EPA estimates that 1 in 15 U.S. homes has elevated levels of radon in their home, so your problem is a common one. Also, radon mitigation systems can be very effective at reducing the radon levels in your home. Most radon mitigation systems use perforated PVC pipe and a plastic vapor barrier to collect the radon gas from under your basement's foundation, and then a fan to mechanically vent the radon out of your home through a roof-top vent.

Many newer homes were built with the PVC collection pipe already installed under the foundation slab, and if this is the case for you, then the costs of installing a radon mitigation system can be reasonable. If there is no PVC pipe in place, then these systems can be very expensive, because the installer will have to jack hammer trenches into your basement floor in order to run the PVC collection pipes. In either instance you would still need a ventilation fan, which can run between $300-$800, and all of the vent pipe needed to run from the basement, up through your home, and then out of the roof.

You should begin this process by hiring a radon mitigation specialist who works in the Elko area, and have then perform a second radon test of your home. Once you know the accurate extent of your home's radon problems, you can then work with the mitigation specialist to solve then. Good luck!

One Response to “What do I have to do for a house that has too much radon?”

From the Reliable Remodeler Directory

You may be interested in these Nevada Home Improvement Contractors: