What Are Our Options for Replacing an Archway?

Answered by Brendan ~ June 21, 2011 ~ No Comments

We just moved into an older home and the master bedroom downstairs has an archway instead of a door as an entryway. I need some help coming up with options to create more privacy for our room.

Jerry T. ~ Fort Wayne, IN

Brendan Fowler

I think that you should be able to frame in the archway and insert a door there. You could also explore the idea of an arched top door that might fit into the opening more naturally. An arched transom above a square door may also be an attractive option. Arched top doors are more expensive than conventional square doors, but they may offer a look you like better. Things to consider when sizing the door for the opening: the door itself will be two inches narrower than the framed-in opening. If you try to maximize door width, you may not have room for any door casing. When you install a door to separate two rooms, sometimes it will change the way forced air heating/cooling works in the house (if you have a forced air system). Make sure light switches are in locations that make sense for the new door location. The bottom line is that you can put a door in the opening; you will just need to decide on what you want the finished product to look like. Good luck! ?

No Responses to “What Are Our Options for Replacing an Archway?”

From the Reliable Remodeler Directory

You may be interested in these Indiana Home Improvement Contractors: