Damp and mold in our utility room!

Answered by Brendan ~ October 18, 2010 ~ Comments

We have a single block utility room downstairs with felt roofing. the mold and smell is just starting again and I cant go through another 6 months of the smell and water on the walls and ceiling. We have used mold paint and have a dehumidifer but this doesn't seem to do a great deal about the smell and moisture in the air. Open to all ideas!

Ross ~ Atlanta, Georgia

Brendan Fowler

First, I would suggest making sure that there is nothing venting into this space, such as dryer vents, water heater vents, HVAC vents or bathroom vents. Make sure that there is no exterior water accumulating near or against this space. I would also make sure that the humidifier is installed properly. Some humidifiers need to be drained frequently and some require that a condensate line run from the unit to the exterior of the house. I think that you are already on the right track, the dehumidifier is going to be the best way to get the moisture out of the air. Good Luck!

2 Responses to “Damp and mold in our utility room!”

From the Reliable Remodeler Directory

You may be interested in these Georgia Home Improvement Contractors: